The Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to Catherine Laboure, a member of the Daughters of Charity, three times in 1830 and commissioned her to have made the Miraculous Medal and to spread a devotion to it. St. Catherine Laboure was canonized in 1947. Her feast day is November 28.
For over a century, Mass and the sacraments have been offered in Copperhill through the ministry of priests from the Diocese of Nashville, meeting in the homes of parishioners. Later, our Parish was transferred into the Diocese of Knoxville upon its’ creation. Beginning in the 1930’s, Copperhill became a mission of parishes in Cleveland, TN and later in Athens, TN.
In the late 1940’s, preparations were underway to build a church named St. Anthony’s. In addition to parishioner support, a generous donation was received from the Catholic Church Extension Society, with the stipulation that the parish be named in honor of St. Catherine Laboure who had recently been canonized. The church was completed and dedicated in 1950. The church was extensively renovated for the 50th anniversary celebration in April 2000.